Saturday, March 12, 2011

Moms group with a twist*

Quite some time ago I realized that there's more to this life than just looking for what you can get out of it. Let me risk in sounding corny by saying that I actually started thinking of doing something that would fall in the category of giving (well, the girls scout cookies that I keep buying from our neighbor's kid also count for something, no?) for a change.

Throughout my own journey of loosing weight I was surrounded by people who helped me, people who gave me quite a lot, sometimes without even knowing that they did. There was that friend who shared the "how to get in shape" secretes with me and motivated me to move pass my fridge, there were the guys who invited me to their mountain bike group, one who even loaned me my first bikes, without knowing me. Not to mention the huge support I keep getting from my good friend Alex who is my bicycle guru. I am not sure I would be where I am today without their giving.

Getting Ready

Anyway, a little over a week ago I came back from a bike ride and decided to share my philosophical thoughts with my lovely wife. After taking my temperature and almost calling 911 on me (apparently she was not used to me having philosophical thoughts or any thoughts whatsoever) she actually came up with a great idea: "Why won't you start a biking group that you can guide and mentor?" She immediately suggested that it should be a women's group (her included of-course). "Maybe I'll finally understand what is there about biking that causes you to come home with that stupid smile on your face every time ..."

I hesitated at first, but soon I realized that it would be great to share the joy I find in riding with others, and if they end up falling in love with biking like I did, my place in heaven is guaranteed (with a pair of "specialized" bikes waiting there just for me). Motivated to do some good (and also knowing that my lovely rarely takes "no" for an answer) I decided to go for it.
After the big climb

I was still very skeptical about who would like to join such a group. The lovely, who often functions as the "brain" in our family, quickly put together an email and sent to all her female friends. Within less then a week, 7 brave women signed up on my blog. The ride was on and there was no way back (well, actually there was since signing up did not mean anything and they could change their mind anytime they wanted... but it sounds more dramatic this way, no?)

A few days before the first ride, everything was arranged. I selected the appropriate area for the ride and I rode it 4 times to make sure I was familiar with all the trails. The last thing I wanted was to get lost (while in charge of 7 women, lovely included!). So on a Sunny afternoon we all met at Arastradero Preserve, Palo Alto CA to have our first group ride!

Single trail


* Credit to Marit (one of the brave) for the post name.
Believe it or not, I enjoyed that ride tremendously. The girls were awesome! The ride wasn't easy at all. I am not even sure if I could make it as my first ride, but they didn't give up, they rode and climbed, walked the bikes when it was too hard, but then immediately jumped back and pedaled the minute they could. The views were incredible, the moral was great, and we did it: over 6 miles, close to 700 feet elevation gain. did I say incredible?!

Although it was hard work and I'm sure they were all exhausted after the ride it was great fun too. How wonderful is that- to have a full serious workout while enjoying great company, beautiful nature and even some laughs along the way.

I am SO waiting for our next ride...

8 comments:

  1. And I'm SO waiting to hear about the next ride! What a great idea! And may I request a closer pic of your lovely next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You now what, me too. please send me to where and when because I want in.
    BTW I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ill make sure you get a good picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Oshrat, just sign up on the contact me page so I will have you on the list for next time

    ReplyDelete
  5. very niceee!
    im not a mama but i want to join...
    im very impressed, its hard to start biking but impossible to stop
    Erez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ata Gadol! I like your writing ..share with us your philosophical thoughts-How come your wife didn't know you are a thinker?-i know you are..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way I've been giving back is by raising money for charity. I may look into doing something like this too! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats great, Let me know what you decided to do!

    ReplyDelete